Paws a While

Chocolate Dangers at Easter Time


We all know Easter is a fun time spent with family and chocolate…lots and lots of delicious chocolate! Easter is a great time for the human members of the family, but the infamous Easter egg hunt can end in tragedy for our four legged friends. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which when ingested by a dog or cat, causes vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, increased heart rate, restlessness, muscle twitching, increased urination, excessive panting and if left untreated can be rapidly fatal.

If your dog does accidentally eat some chocolate it is vitally important that they are seen within 30 minutes to an hour by your local veterinarian. The veterinarian will give a medication to make your pet vomit, which removes most of the toxins from the body. Sometimes, your pet will be hospitalised, where intravenous fluids may be used, an enema or stomach pump may be required, and we may also need to use muscles relaxants and activated charcoal.

There are a few simple precautions you can take to ensure that your pet has a safe Easter:

  • Hide your Easter eggs in areas which cannot be accessed by your pet.
  • Ensure small children do not give your pet any chocolate.
  • Ensure all chocolate is kept out of reach from your pets. Dogs have a good sense of smell and will find chocolate in kid’s schoolbags!
  • Distract your pet with their favourite treats while chocolate is around.

Check out our website for more information. or join us on Facebook.

We look forward to meeting you and your pets at Orchard Hills Veterinary Hospital, and please feel free to pop in anytime and meet the team.

Article Written + Submitted by: Camille Brandt from Orchard Hills Veterinary Hospital
A: 377 Wentworth Rd, Orchard Hills P: 4736 2027

Leave A Reply