It is cold and dark, so we spend more time indoors, but you won’t be the only one seeking shelter. As temperatures drop, mice and rats head indoors to search for food, and they might pick your house for their new residence.
Most rat baits are really dangerous to pets. We have seen several rat bait ingestion in dogs recently, and with treatment they survive.
Rat bait is a silent killer. Unlike snail bait which causes violent symptoms within minutes after ingestion, most rat bait takes 3-5 days before it starts to take effect in a pet.
There are different kinds of rat bait available; the most common are anti-coagulant poisons that stop blood from clotting normally, resulting in excessive bleeding. The development of clinical signs is usually delayed for 3-7 days after the dog or cat consumes the poison.
- Common signs of rat bait poisoning may include:
Obvious external signs of haemorrhage (dependent on where the bleeding is; for example bruising, bloody faeces or urine, nose bleeds, vomiting blood).
Loss of appetite
- Distended abdomen from bleeding into the abdomen
- Coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing from bleeding into the chest
- Pale gums from anaemia
- Bulging of eyes from bleeding behind the eyes
- Sudden death with no obvious clinical signs can also occur.
If you know that your pet has eaten rat bait, contact your veterinarian immediately. Vomiting can be induced to remove as much of the rat bait as possible and treatment can be started immediately.
Rat bait kills rats, mice and your pet if they ingest them.
Try more pet-friendly ways to get rid of vermin. Check out our website for more information. www.orchardhillsvet.com.au or join us on Facebook.
We look forward to meeting you and your pets at Orchard Hills Veterinary Hospital, and please feel free to pop in anytime and meet the team.
Article Written + Submitted by: Camille Brandt from Orchard Hills Veterinary Hospital
A: 377 Wentworth Rd, Orchard Hills P: 4736 2027