New Era for the Regentville Knights
Like most brigades, Regentville Rural Fire Brigade had its humble beginnings. Formed in 1951 by a group of local residents and landholders, the brigade began with a borrowed trailer and little else.
Relocating in the 1970s from their original tin shed to the current station (which was then a two-bay brick box) the place is now unrecognisable. Through member’s blood, sweat and tears, and support of the local community through fund raising, the station is now a fine facility with a meeting/training room, office, three engine bays, huge carport and an outside area that includes the obligatory barbecue. Their current Brigade Equipment includes two bushfire tankers, an urban pumper, a personnel carrier and a fire boat.
But it’s not the equipment that makes their Brigade, it’s the over 40 volunteers that are on call 24/7, 365 days a year, who commit their precious time and energy to providing the local community with world class emergency services.
Services that include responding to bush and structure fires, motor vehicle accidents, and storm and flood damage.
They also assist the community through their Community Education and bush fire mitigation programs.
Recently, Regentville Rural Fire Brigade unveiled its new logo. Keeping much of the original in a new format, they have below given some history behind the logo and what it means to the local community.
The Logo of Regentville Rural Fire Brigade represents the History of Regentville from 1823 when the then Landowner of the area, Sir John Jamison, named his Estate “Regentville” for the Prince Regent (Later King George IV) who knighted him a Knight Bachelor. Sir John Jamison inherited 1,000 acres of land in what is now the Penrith area, following his father’s death in 1811. The land was taken up by Sir John, who had been a surgeon, and had served under Admiral Horatio Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 and the Battle of San Domingo in 1806.
It was due to his outstanding Naval service as a Surgeon that he was knighted for his medical services to the Royal Navy. This wasn’t the first time he’d been knighted though, in 1807 the Swedish King made Sir John a Knight of the Order of Gustavus Vasa (KGV) for successfully treating an outbreak of Scurvy in the allied Swedish fleet.
In 1823-24, he built a magnificent mansion on a rise overlooking the Nepean River. He named the mansion Regentville House. Sir John held so many lavish balls, banquets and other social activities at the mansion that he became known as the “hospitable knight of Regentville”. This is how the “Regentville Knights” got their name. Early Brigade logos have depicted the Knights helmet to represent the Knighted Sir John Jamison, and an Anchor to represent his Naval Service.
Today the Logo still incorporates the Knight and anchor, but also includes further details. The serpent (traditionally seen on the Rod of Asclepius) wrapped around the anchor in acknowledgement of Sir John’s achievements in medicine, particularly in Naval Service. The motto “Sine Metu” which is from the Jamison family crest and translates to “Without Fear” and the Flaming sword which relates to the duties of Today’s Regentville Knights, fighting flames.
Regentville is always looking for committed locals to assist with everyday emergencies! If this isn’t for you, at least head over to their Facebook to keep up to date with what they are doing in our community.